Bikalpa Art Center is calling for applications from anyone interested in participating in the ‘Artist-in-Residence’ Program 2019 We encourage applicants with different professional backgrounds. This residency will be six weeks intensive program, that aims to bring together professionals for a myriad of different disciplines, too, in the spirit of collaboration, use collective wisdom to produce individual works of art. This residency will culminate with a week-long exhibition in the BAC studio.
BAC is a contemporary art platform for diverse artists, entrepreneur and change-makers. The residency at Bikalpa provides a space to exchange, collaborate and produce the artworks. We would like to recommend you look FAQ before making an application.
AIR at BAC
BAC offers seasonal residency programs throughout the year. The residency program consists of six weeks of studio works (15th August to 29 September 2019) and open studio at the end. The open studio could be in the form of exhibition/ performance or any kind of display of the work produced during the residency period. Throughout the residency program, the artists will also be engaged in different cultural social activities, interactions, workshops, presentations and ‘evening with the artists’ night.
BAC also accepts visiting artists throughout the whole year.
Terms and Condition
- We expect artists to arrive before the residency starts and leave after the open studio.
- The artists will have to spend their time in residency programs, production and engaged in activities scheduled by BAC. ( we do not expect artists to participate in the residency program and go for trekking)
- The artists will have to conduct a workshop or presentation to the local community; community could be local neighborhood, schools, group of local artists etc (it’s a part of the program)
- We would like to request artists to think twice regarding their availability during the residency period before making an application. Once the artist’s application gets selected, the artist will not retrain or drop to participate in the residency.
Projects we accept:
We encourage applications for a wide range of projects from a diverse group of artists that could allow them to connect to the public through their projects. We are open to proposals for all phases of the project, from initial concept to full production.
Performance art, multimedia, film/ videos, photography, installation, sound and experimental music, fine art, painting, sculpture, printmaking and any other form of visual art. We also welcome writers, curators and researchers.
Any artist working in any form of visual arts is eligible to apply. We welcome great diversity in our applicants’ nationality, age, and discipline. Applications are open to individuals or interdisciplinary teams.
What we offer:
Most often, our major contribution is time and space, curatorial guidance, facilitation of the workshops, support in talk and presentations, evening with the artist event and the final exhibition. In this scenario, the residency primarily supports the development of a project in a focused/ professional environment along with a simple sharing studio space.
All the artists will be responsible for the entire travel cost, lodge and food, art materials etc.
BAC do not provide accommodation facilities, artists are free to find on their own. However, on request we help artists to find good accommodation in the neighbourhood of BAC.
How to apply?
All the artists should submit the following information
- A proposal/outline of the project that artist wants accomplish during the period of residency.
- A motivation letter, ‘Proposals should address the applicant’s reasons for wanting to undertake the studio residency and an outline of their project’
- A complete artist’s portfolio including brief biography/ resume
- A copy of the passport for foreign applicants.
It is mandatory for the artists to display their work upon completion at the end of the residency program to the local community for which space shall be provided by the center. The nature of display can be an exhibition, presentation, performance, workshop, slide show talk program etc.
Deadline for submission:
The submission deadline is Friday the 19th of July 2019
Send the application at [email protected]