What is BAC residency?
BAC’s Artists in Residence Program was established in 2013 as a resource for artists and creative thinkers of all genres. We are located in the heart of Patan but still away from the maddening crowd. Patan is second metropolitan artistic city connected to Kathmandu. A beautiful urban green landscape with lots of tall trees, plants, flowers and seasonal fruits. The total area of the center is about 17,000 sq. ft. (177 x 94) that runs with the setting of a cafe and gallery.
Why Cafe and Co working space in the art center?
The main motive of having cafe and the co working space in the center is to make the center more accessible to general public, bring more audience to the activities that take place at the center. At the other side it also makes self sustainable. The cafe and co working space complement to the art center.
How is the working space/ studio space for the artist who comes in the residency?
Most likely we provide our newly constructed fix shared studio space to the artists however depending on the nature of the art work, we also provide open space/ garden. To view the space please visit this link here
What is the duration of a residency?
Residencies are scheduled in 6 weeks long blocks and artists are asked to join from the very first day until the end. However if one has not enough time can also apply for visiting or guest artist at BAC. The visiting/ guest artists will not be offered the facilities and programmings as the artists will be offered while in residency. To look for the more details on visiting artists please visit the link here http://www.bikalpaartcenter.org/visiting-artists/
What accommodation and other expenses like?
BAC do not provide accommodation facilities, artists are free to find on their own. However on request we help artists to find good accommodation in closer neighbourhood of BAC. The expenses depends on the need vary from 150$ to 400$ per month for a single room.
The other expenses like food and transportation also depends on where you eat. Our cafe offers 20% discounts in all the menu from kitchen and bar to the artists. The public transportation is very cheap from NRs 20 to 50 in the city, however if you ride a private car or a taxi it will cost around NRs. 200 to 700 depending on the distance.
What other services besides the residencies do you provide for the artists?
There will be:
- An introduction to the local art scene, presentations by some local artists.
- Opportunity to give presentations, workshops or any other extra events that artists want to take on through out the residency period.
- The opportunity to work with and meet other visiting artists
- The chance to visit local artists studios, museums, galleries
- The chance to exhibit/ display/ perform the work at the end of the residency as open studio.
What does the program, not include?
BAC do not provide:
- Accident and Health Insurance
- Mobile phone/SIM card
- Public Transport Passes.
This is your time, and we hope you will use it to engage fully in your work. Residents are encouraged to think of ways to engage the community in their work.
- We expect artists to arrive BAC at the first week of residency program and leave after the open studio.
- We appreciate a piece of art works donated to BAC for its permanent collection which is created during the residency period.
- Once the artist’s application gets selected for applied season, the artist will not retrain or drop to participate in the residency. So, please make sure before making application that you can manage your time for preferred season and you will not withdraw after all.
May I bring my partner, family member with me?
Our residencies are a place for artists and creative thinkers to focus on their work, be committred and accomplish the project without distractions. We appreciate artists being engaged with the schedule and activities given by BAC, however if the partner or family member wants to visit and schedule their stay without disturbing the program or after the program is possible.
How do I get there?
15 to 25 minutes drive from the Tribhuvan International airport, Kathmandu to Pulchowk, Lalitpur, BAC (in front of Sajha Petrol Pump, next to Rastriya Banijya Bank ). You may get a public transportation, taxi or a private vechele. We normally send some one to pick the artists up from the airport to BAC or directly to the hostel but artists are subjected to pay the transportation fare.